Halloween is such a fun season of creativity, costumes, and crafting. What better way to embrace the spooky spirit than by creating your very own Halloween Decoupaged Witch Hats? In this tutorial, I’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of crafting these bewitching hats using the versatile and artistic technique of decoupage. Whether you’re a seasoned crafter or just dipping your toes into the crafting cauldron, these witch hats are a fantastic way to add a personalized touch to your Halloween decor. So, gather your materials and let’s dive into the magical world of DIY Halloween crafting!
How to make DIY Halloween Decoupaged Witch Hats
What You’ll Need
Before we begin, make sure you have the following materials ready:
- Wooden Rounds: You can find these at Raggedy Bits, which will serve as the base for your witch hats.
- Set of 3 Foam Cones: These can be purchased from Amazon and will help you create the iconic cone shape of a witch hat.
- Raggedy Bits Halloween Typesetting Decoupage Paper: Get your hands on some hauntingly beautiful decoupage paper from here to infuse your hats with spooky charm. I used the small decoupage paper and it covered the middle size and small cone perfectly.
- Dixie Belle – Caviar: This chalk mineral paint, available at Raggedy Bits, will give your hats a rich and mysterious hue.
- Artisan Wax: Add a protective layer and a subtle sheen to your hats using Artisan Wax also from Raggedy Bits.
- Mod Podge or Clear Coat
- 120 Grit Sandpaper
Raggedy Bits For All Your DIY Projects & Home Decor
Crafting the Witch Hat Base
Let’s start with creating the base of the witch hat. Take the wooden round and paint both sides in Caviar letting each coat dry. This will be the brim of your hat. It provides a sturdy foundation for the witch hat so you can decorate with it later.
Be sure to watch the Facebook LIVE Tutorial!
Creating the Cone Shape
Preparing the Foam Cones: Retrieve the set of 3 foam cones you purchased. These will form the pointed top of your witch hats. I used the small and medium ones for this project. Using some 120 grit sandpaper smooth out any lumps in the polystyrene.
- Distressing and Sealing: For an aged and weathered look, consider lightly distressing the painted brim with sandpaper. This adds character and depth to your hat. Seal with clear wax.
- Personalizing Your Hats: Get creative with additional embellishments like ribbons, miniature broomsticks, or faux spiders to add that extra dash of Halloween spirit. I made a jute bow and added some bling.
Crafting Witch Hats for Kids
Adapting this project for kids is a fantastic way to introduce them to the joys of crafting. Use any colours, or whimsical decoupage paper, and simplify some of the steps to make it kid-friendly. Ensure that adult supervision and assistance are provided whenever sharp tools or paint are involved.
With a bit of creativity and a touch of decoupage magic, you’ve conjured up your very own Halloween Decoupaged Witch Hats. These enchanting creations will undoubtedly become the centrepiece of your spooky decor, impressing both guests and ghouls alike. Remember, crafting is all about expressing yourself, so don’t hesitate to experiment and make these hats truly your own. Happy Halloween crafting!
Happy Painting and creating,
Be sure to follow Raggedy Bits on Facebook. I go live each week for Waste Not Wednesday and Friday Faves to share craft and painting tips along with sneak peeks and new arrivals!